Daniel Brian Waylonis
404 Stierlin Road
Mountain View CA 94043-4622
All About Me
I enjoy programming in Swift and Objective-C on all of the Apple platforms
and I'd like to keep doing so until I get bored. However, I've been doing it since 2000 and I'm still having fun!
11/2015 - Present Apple, Inc.
- 2016 - Present: Graphics and Imaging internal tool development
- 2015 - 2016: Special Projects Group
06/2013 - 09/2015 Better, Inc.
- Startup in Palo Alto, CA that helps people personalize their health care and wellness needs.
- Lead iOS engineer. Wrote the majority of the client app to present data to user and synchronize with backend server.
- Using modern iOS development technologies: GCD, CoreData, Networking, Blocks, View Transitions, JSON.
- Wrote custom views, data transmogrifiers, controllers, and animations.
- Created resilient networking code to handle temporary outages and server issues.
07/2011 - 06/2013 Klip, Inc.
- Developing using iOS frameworks with custom views, animations, controls, and network communication with
backend via JSON objects. Rewrote legacy product using modern iOS style (e.g., GCD, Blocks, Appearance proxy) in two months.
02/2006 - 04/2011 Google, Inc.
- Worked on iOS Ads SDK, Google Gadgets, Breakpad, Gears for Safari, Google Earth for Macintosh.
04/2000 - 02/2006 Apple, Inc.
- Member of Aperture, SoundTrack, Compressor, iPhoto, and iMovie teams.
07/1997 - 02/1999 Eloquent, Inc.
- Architect and implementer of software tools used by in-house production staff.
12/1994 - 11/1996 Minerva Systems, Inc.
- Co-designed and implemented MinervaStudio, a plug-in based application for encoding and decoding MPEG streams.
08/1993 - 12/1994 Adobe Systems, Inc.
- Member of engineering team on Adobe Dimensions, a 3D illustration package written in C/C++ on both MacOS and Windows platforms.
- Objective C and Cocoa since OSX 10.0, UIKit since iOS 2.0
- Swift since Swift 2.0
- Drawing and image processing with CoreGraphics, CoreImage, CoreAnimation, OpenGL (ES), and Metal
- Multicore support using GCD and NSOperations (who uses threads these days?)
- Persistent data storage with CoreData and SQLite on the client. MySQL/NoSQL on the backend.
Activities and Interests
- Bicycling, motorcycling, gardening, fitness, video games, traveling, woodworking, kinetic sculptures
- Programming graphics, screen savers, and utilities for fun
- Electronic music, virtual racks (Reason)
09/1989 - 06/1991 The Ohio State University
09/1984 - 06/1988 The Ohio State University
- M.S., Computer Science, Major areas: graphics, software engineering
- B.S. Engineering., Computer and Information Science, Biomedical emphasis